The rules were:
Do one or more of the following using the prompts (which should include at least one, some or all in your challenge):
- Write a pitch/logline for a book based on the prompts (less than 100 words)
- Write a short story/flash fiction piece of less than 200 words based on the prompts
- Write a poem with a twist using the prompts as inspiration (in less than 200 words)
- Write a story/poem in five sentences, each sentence based on one of the prompts
- Write a poem/flash fiction piece (in less than 200 words) about the water pear *without* using the words “pear”, “spoon”, or “droplet”.
Two people are sitting together under the remains of a concrete bridge. Their backs are against a rusted bridge support. One person’s leg is cut. The other person has wet hair.
- Complete at least three of the above activities and tie them all together with a common theme (feel free to either state the theme in your post or leave us to guess what it might be)
- Write in a genre that is not your own
- Ask Challenge entrants to critique your writing.
- How creatively the prompts are used (possible 5 points awarded)
- How well the entries are written (possible 5 points awarded)
- How engaging/entertaining/unique the entries are (possible 5 points awarded)
- If the entrant completes more than one of the activities in their post, how well their pieces are tied together by a common theme and how strongly their theme shines through in their writing OR If the entrant only completes one of the activities in their post, how strongly their theme shines through in their writing (possible 5 points awarded)
- Whether the judge wants to read more (possible 3 points awarded)
- Creativeness/uniqueness of the entry’s title (possible 2 points awarded)
They are the rules, and my entries are:
All were very, very good and I had to choose FIVE. I read all their pieces and picked out my favourites for interest, a full story (beginning, middle and end) and use of the prompts above. Then I re-read my favourites and awarded the points. The highest points, and thus going through to the next round are…